Get to know us better.
The Saskatoon Crisis Nursery is a home away from home whose families are experiencing a crisis.
When families are in crisis and parents/caregivers have nowhere to turn, the Crisis Nursery offers a 24/7, 365 day a year safe haven where children aged 0-12 years can take a break from stressful situations, and are given nurturing care while their parents receive the help they need.
How We Help
Every family’s situation is unique and our support reflects that. We are honoured to look after children for parents/caregivers needing assistance with short term or ongoing issues.
Whatever the situation we welcome families and children with love, non-judgment and support.
For parents/caregivers in need the nursery also advocates and refers parents/caregivers to resources that will provide further assistance in managing their crisis or ongoing needs.
We want families to know that they are not alone and we are here to help them navigate one of the most important and difficult jobs in the world, being a parent.
Here are some of the issues we assist with:
Chronic mental or physical health conditions
Domestic or sexual violence
Childhood abuse or neglect
Treatment for addictions
to raise a child.”
by providing a safe place for children
with the help of our community.
We operate from a preventative model by offering community-based care for parents/caregivers and their children.
We work hard to support families so they can stay together wherever possible aiming to intervene before a need for social service’s involvement. It is our belief that when parents are given support, encouragement and access to services, they can reach their full potential.
Saskatoon Crisis Nursery was the first of its kind in Canada and modelled after one in Tucson, Arizona. The Crisis Nursery was founded by the idea that all children have the inherent right to be safe at all times and that it is the community’s responsibility to provide the safe place.
We are a Community Based Organization operated by the Saskatoon Society for the Protection of Children Inc. (SSPC) and managed by a volunteer board of directors.
The Crisis Nursery operates with financial assistance from:
- Ministry of Social Services
- Donated money, and items from community organizations, businesses, and individuals.
Please help us continue to assist those children in need here in Saskatoon.
We can only do what we do with your support. Please help by going to our Give page and making a financial contribution today.
Take a look through our visual history, from early beginnings to our eventual move to our current home.
- 1974: The initial process began to form a society to protect children from exploitation and neglect.
- 1976: The SSPC was formed and registered as a charitable organization.
- 1983: The SSPC started the Crisis Nursery in the basement of the Y.W.C.A. The Crisis Nursery was developed in response to a need to provide noninvasive crisis care for children who experience an emergency that threatens their safety.
- 1983: A June flood required the Nursery to move to a temporary location in the Regent Plaza on 3rd Avenue.
- 1984: The Crisis Nursery was moved to it’s current location at 1020 Victoria Ave, Saskatoon, SK.
- 1984 – today: The Crisis Nursery provides an ongoing invaluable service to families in crisis.